Thumbtack is an online service that matches people with professionals around their area, from a wide range of professions. As with everyone conducting business online or offline, there are some questions and often even complaints about specific parts of their operations. We have gathered the most asked Thumbtack consumers’ questions, as well as the most frequented Thumbtack complaints posted on Pissed Consumer, and responded to them one-by-one.
12 Most Asked Thumbtack Consumer Questions
Most people expressed queries about various company procedures while there are also consumers particularly concerned about safety issues and how to contact Thumbtack customer service. Below is the list of questions that are answered in this report.
- How do I contact Thumbtack customer support?
- How does the bidding work?
- How long does it take for pros to get background check results?
- What are the rating options?
- How much does it cost to use Thumbtack.com?
- How do I get listed?
- How do I create an account?
- How do you get hired?
- How do I edit my Thumbtack Inc profile info?
- I’ve accidentally hired a pro. How do I cancel an appointment?
- What kind of services/pros can I find?
- How do I report fake requests?
1. How do I contact Thumbtack customer support?
You may visit the Pissed Consumer Thumbtack customer service page, where you can find all available Thumbtack contact info, including:
- A Thumbtack toll-free number.
- A Thumbtack customer support numbers.
- An email to reach out to a company rep.
- The company headquarters address
2. How does the bidding work on Thumbtack.com?
According to Thumbtack customer help, customers (called leads) that sign up with the company view search results with relevant profiles and other information per their specific project requirements.
When consumers find a professional they believe is a good fit for their job users will contact that individual (message, call or book an appointment) with job details, including cost. The pro that has been contacted with is requested to pay for the leads they want. Declined leads cost the pro nothing.
That being said, there seems to be a lot of disappointment regarding the way users can bid on jobs per Thumbtack.com complaints posted on Thumbtack Community. It appears that bidding was once done using credits. Pros would purchase the bundle that best suited them and use the number of credits required per bid (which was an info visible to them at the time).
Now, there is no indication of the required credits for each selected bid. Also, Thumbtack.com customer assistance center does not provide any clue about whether using credits is still the default payment process.
3. How long does it take for Thumbtack Inc pros to get background check results?
Based on the information we found on the Thumbtack customer support page, the results from your background check are emailed to you within 10-17 working days after you have submitted the credentials required. Applicants can check the status of their background check by visiting Checkr.
For concerns related to the results, you may call Checkr at 844-824-3257 or send them an email at email@example.com and then contact Thumbtack with any changes that were made to your results. Do contact Thumbtack.com if you have not received results after 17 business days.
4. What are the rating options on Thumbtack?
At the moment of this writing, customers can review pros by visiting the pro’s review page, choosing a star rating that corresponds to their experience with the professional (from 1 to 5, with five being the highest rating), and providing feedback.
However, there are strong voices in the Thumbtack.com Community that request for a customer-rating option so pros can also review their experience with a client. Thumbtack Inc seems to be considering this idea.
5. How much does it cost to use Thumbtack Inc?
This is one of consumers’ top questions. Thumbtack.com consumer help mentions that signing up is free. Pros that have created a profile with Thumbtack Inc will only pay when a customer reaches out to them with a project that appeals to them. The platform calls that a lead. When it comes to the fee one needs to pay for each lead, it depends on the type and size of the job, as well as the number of professionals available.
There is not much information about a price range; however, a Thumbtack user has mentioned paying over $30 per bid, when sharing her success story via Medium. Also, if the available professionals are not enough to meet customer needs, there is a chance the lead is free. Finally, Thumbtack Inc customer support page also refers to a 20% discount per lead for pros that promote their services.
If you are a pro using Thumbtack.com, there is also the option to reach out to customers yourself – customers that have already contacted a professional. In this case, no fees are applied unless the customer responds.
6. How do I get listed on www.thumbtack.com?
Getting started as a pro requires to create a profile page that will allow you to share reviews and photos of your projects. Once done with the sign up process, you will appear in customer searches.
As a customer, you can have your project listed on Thumbtack by:
- Visiting the Thumbtack platform.
- Selecting the type of service you will need.
- Clicking “Get Started”.
- Filling out the questionnaire about the details of your project.
- Clicking “Submit”.
After completing all steps, the company will introduce you to pros that meet your criteria.
7. How do I create a Thumbtack.com account?
According to Thumbtack FAQs, the process is simple:
• Visit the company’s welcome page.
• Select the service(s) you would like to provide.
• Choose the location from where you will offer your service(s) and state whether you are willing to travel (type in the miles you are willing to make for a project).
• Click Get Started.
• Complete the details required.
8. How do you get hired on Thumbtack?
The Thumbtack Journal has some handy tips to win business with Thumbtack Inc, including:
- Having high-quality pictures (both a headshot and a portfolio).
- Being meticulous when crafting your profile description.
- Personalizing your quotes.
- Responding quickly.
- Following up right after a customer has reviewed your quote.
9. How do I edit my Thumbtack Inc profile info?
Unless the change you wish to make is your legal name, which requires you to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a court-approved name change proof, a copy of a marriage/divorce certificate or a photo of a government-issued ID, alongside details about why you need to change your legal name, according to Thumbtack FAQs, to update your profile information, you need to:
- Log in to your Thumbtack account.
- Click on your name at the top right-hand corner.
- Select “Settings” and then “Account”.
- Edit the info you wish to change and save.
Thumbtack answers usually within 7 business days.
10. I’ve accidentally hired a Thumbtack pro. How do I cancel an appointment?
The company does not provide sufficient details about how you can cancel a hire. However, what you could do is submit a request to www.thumbtack.com and ask them to update your project while providing the new details. The company will delete your old project, which means that you will lose the quotes you have received. That way, you can have new people bidding for your project.
11. What kind of services/pros can I find on Thumbtack.com?
There are 13 types of services on offer on Thumbtack:
- Home improvement
- Design and web
- Repair and technical support
- Writing, translation, and transcription
Each category has several sub-categories, which means that there are thousands of different services that one can find a pro for.
12. How do I report fake requests on www.thumbtack.com?
We have received an increasing number of Thumbtack reviews bringing to our attention the fact that many users receive fake job requests:
“I got 3 messages today from Thumbtack. One saying that a customer specifically requested me .....only they are 450 miles away! Then the next message said I have a message from a customer that said “looks good, what’s next now?” And then the third message said I had yet another message from a customer that said “what makes you a good fit for this job?”… All 3 messages were from the same customer name... with different locations...”
According to the Thumbtack consumer help center, you need to report any suspicious activity immediately by:
- Going to your inbox and choose the message you believe is a fake request.
- Click “Report” – a pop-up window will appear.
- Select the reason why you are reporting that message.
- Write a few words about your experience.
- Click “Submit”.
Give the company 24 hours to review your report and get back to you with the course of action they have taken to resolve your issue.
If you have a question that has not been answered above, you may find out more details by:
- Writing a review so that a company rep or other consumers who have had a similar question resolved respond to you.
- Going through Pissed Consumer’s Thumbtack reviews & complaints page and check whether your question has been answered as a response to another consumer’s review.
- Contact Thumbtack.com customer service via chat or phone call (866) 501-5809).
Health and Hospitality Expert
Litsa is a freelance writer focused on Travel, Cryptocurrency, and Business. Also, she is a Health and Hospitality expert. She has been writing in these fields for more than a decade while her work has appeared on numerous media outlets, including USA Money, Today, and well-respected blogs.
- Thumbtack background check
- Thumbtack bidding
- Thumbtack complaints
- Thumbtack customer support
- Thumbtack lead cost
- Thumbtack price
- Thumbtack pros
- Thumbtack reviews
- Thumbtack services
1. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide any legal, medical, accounting, investment or any other professional advice as individual cases may vary and should be discussed with a corresponding expert and/or an attorney.
2. All or some image copyright belongs to the original owner(s). No copyright infringement intended.