Venmo.com is a mobile payment service owned and operated by Paypal, Inc. The digital wallet is available as an app that can be used on both Android and iOS phones. It can also be accessed via a web browser on www.venmo.com. Unlike PayPal, which can be used worldwide, the Venmo payment service can only be used within the USA.
While it is convenient and straightforward to use, there have been numerous Venmo complaints on Pissed Consumer. Often, customers find themselves needing the assistance of Venmo customer service. But is customer support easily accessible, reliable, and helpful?
Number of Venmo reviews – 586
Venmo rating* – 1.9⭐⭐
Venmo claimed losses – 240K
Successful calls – 4%/4.4K
Resolved issues – 5
This article investigates the best ways to contact Venmo customer support by answering the following top consumer questions:
- How safe is Venmo?
- How do I contact Venmo by phone?
- How to email customer service?
- How to contact customer support in the app?
- How to contact support via social networks?
- What are Venmo scams?
How Safe Is Venmo?
When the Venmo payment service was first launched in 2009, it aimed at enabling friends and family members to share bills, e.g., at the movies, to pay for dinner or rent. However, it has grown over the years to provide a wide range of services. According to their website, Venmo.com can be used to:
- send money to friends and family;
- send gifts;
- split bills;
- shop online or pay in-app;
- pay individuals;
- receive payments from customers either online or in-store;
- receive paychecks;
- send money to your bank account;
- buy and track cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, and Litecoin.
You can also sign up for a Venmo debit card or credit card. The debit card can be used to make payments anywhere across the US where MasterCard is accepted. On the other hand, the Venmo credit card is a contactless Visa card that enables you to make secure and touch-free payments.
Venmo payment service has some outstanding features, including:
- the functionality to track and buy the four major cryptocurrencies;
- minimal transaction fees with no charges on transactions among users;
- numerous opportunities to get cashback, and you can use your cashback however you like, including making payments, gifting friends, shopping, or buying cryptocurrencies.
Although some users are satisfied with the digital wallet, many others are dissatisfied, as evidenced by Venmo reviews on PissedConsumer.com. The company’s rating varies on various platforms. For example, on Pissed Consumer, the rating is 1.9 stars, and GlassDoor gives it 3.5 stars.
The main Venmo complaints include:
- payment issues, whereby the amount received does not reflect on the account;
- poor Venmo customer service whereby the representatives are not responsive or helpful;
- fraudulent activity on user accounts;
- sometimes the app does not work;
- frozen account;
- challenges transferring money from Venmo account to bank account;
- inability to make payments or receive payments;
- remote account hacking;
- Venmo scams.
One of the biggest criticisms about www.venmo.com is the lack of privacy. Initially, the company publicly revealed each transaction’s details, which put users at risk of cyber-attacks. After numerous complaints by customers and the FTC, the money transfer service introduced a privacy feature in 2018, whereby you can select your privacy settings with options, including Private, Friends Only, and Public.
Users can now set their default privacy settings to “Private” and hide all their past transactions.
Cyber security specialists note that even with the privacy settings enabled, Venmo customer information is still easily accessible by hackers. This could explain some of the customer complaints about being hacked. For example, in review #3081285, the customer complained about their account being hacked by supposed Apple technicians.
My account was hacked by supposed apple technicians who were supposed to be helping me guard my Apple account to prevent further payments to my Apple account. Since my debit card was also used here on Venmo.
How Do I Сontact Venmo by Phone?
Call Venmo for immediate assistance. There are various phone numbers provided on the Venmo Help Center.
The main Venmo customer service phone number (855) 812-4430 is open Monday to Friday between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. EAT.
There is also a Venmo phone number dedicated to their credit cards (855-878-6462), which is operated by Synchrony Bank. This Venmo customer service phone number can also be found at the back of your credit card, and it is open 24/7.
If your debit card gets stolen or lost, call Venmo at 855-204-4090 to deactivate your card, permanently close it, or order a new one.
Venmo reviews on Pissed Consumer indicate that some customers get through the main customer service number with ease. Others are put on hold for too long, or their call is sent to an automated receiver. In other cases, it is easy to call Venmo customer service phone numbers, but customer support is not helpful.
For instance, in Venmo complaint #3013549, the customer expressed their frustration in not being able to get a hold of the customer support to have a payment that has been on hold for two years resolved.
How to Email Venmo Customer Service?
There are different ways to contact Venmo customer support via email. They provide various email addresses for different issues. You can also fill the contact form on the contact us page.
Here are Venmo customer service emails:
- General: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Venmo debit card email: email@example.com
- Business profile support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Media relations: email@example.com
On the Venmo support email form, you will be required to provide the following:
- full name;
- phone number and email address used to open your account;
- indicate whether you have access to the email address linked to the account (tick the box provided if you have a Venmo frozen account);
- a subject for the email;
- indicate whether you are an account holder;
- provide details about the issue as well as attachments where applicable;
- then submit.
You should get a response from customer support. However, some Venmo complaints indicate that customers did not get a response on their Venmo customer service emails despite following up severally.
How to Contact Venmo Customer Support in the App?
Aside from calling the Venmo phone numbers, you can get an immediate response for your issue by reaching out to them via live chat on your mobile app. Venmo customer support is available to chat Monday to Friday between 7 a.m. and 1 a.m. and Saturday and Sunday between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m. ET.
Here are the steps to contact Venmo via live chat:
- Log in to your Venmo account on your mobile app.
- Tap on the menu icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select “Get help” at the bottom of the menu.
- Then tap on the “Contact Us” option.
- You will be provided with three options, select “Chat with Us.”
- If it is within the live chat operation hours, you will be connected to a representative.
You can still use the live chat option even if you have a Venmo frozen account. However, if you don’t get help on the live chat, write to the Venmo support email or call the main phone number. You may be required to prove that you are the account owner, e.g., a photo of your driving license or passport.
Venmo reviews indicate that sometimes there is no one available to chat with. Other reviewers complained that they were left on the live chat unattended, while others were not offered a solution.
Venmo has a social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. There hasn’t been any activity on their Facebook page, but they link to the Venmo Help Center.
So far, the best way to contact Venmo customer support on social media is through their customer support page on Twitter (@venmosupport). They also have an official Twitter page (@Venmo) where they post updates about the service.
They indicate that customer representatives are available on Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. and over the weekend between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. You can either post a tweet directly on their page or send them a direct message.
When customers leave a tweet, they are often requested to send a direct message or write to the Venmo customer service email providing the phone number or email address linked to the account.
What are Venmo Scams?
Several reviews on PissedConsumer.com refer to Venmo scams, including instances whereby:
- Customers’ accounts are hacked, the login details changed, and money is taken out;
- Some scammers impersonate the account user’s friends and family and ask for money with a promise to refund.
- User accounts are frozen without any explanation.
- Funds on a Venmo frozen account are put on hold indefinitely.
- Some payments to the Venmo account or withdrawals to the bank account do not reflect on the balance.
The help center confirms and warns of various Venmo scams, including:
- fake prizes or cash rewards;
- fake calls or emails from Venmo;
- fake friends who impersonate your real friends and borrow money;
- paper check scams;
- accidental deposit where the scammer asks you to refund the money;
- offers to make money fast;
- romance scams.
Venmo complaints indicate that customer support is not helpful in the reported instances of scamming. Therefore, be extra cautious when using the platform to avoid falling victim to scammers like fellow reviewer #2039174.
Although the Venmo Help Center is quite comprehensive, there are instances where you may need immediate assistance from a customer representative. Unfortunately, Venmo customer support is often hard to reach out to.
While you can contact them through the Venmo phone number, it doesn't guarantee a solution to your issue. You could also write to the Venmo support email or fill the contact form, but you might not get a response.
The other option is to contact them through the Venmo live chat. However, on several occasions, customers complained about being left unattended on the live chat. Although their social media representatives are highly responsive on Twitter, you will most likely be asked to provide your details via direct message, and there is no evidence for resolution.
What has been your experience with Venmo customer support and services? Leave a review on PissedConsumer.com.
*The company ratings on the PissedConsumer website are calculated using a mathematical algorithm that evaluates the information in the company’s profile. The algorithm parameters are: users’ rating, the number of resolved issues, the number of company responses and more. The PissedConsumer algorithm is also subject to change in the future.
- call venmo
- contact venmo
- venmo complaints
- venmo customer service
- venmo customer support
- venmo frozen account
- venmo help center
- venmo phone number
- venmo reviews
- venmo scams
1. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide any legal, medical, accounting, investment or any other professional advice as individual cases may vary and should be discussed with a corresponding expert and/or an attorney.
2. All or some image copyright belongs to the original owner(s). No copyright infringement intended.